The locality initially established as “Homebush”, centred around the Homebush Estate. Around 1912 the location changed its name to Junortoun to avoid confusion with Homebush, New South Wales. See this article for a discussion of how Junortoun was named.
Throughout its history many people from Junortoun have served this country at times of war. Their history can be found here.
A primary school operated in Junortoun until around 1956. It was initially named Homebush Elementary School and subsequently Junortoun State School (No. 1634).
Notable historic events in the history of Junortoun include:
- The murder of William and Ida Manning, and Hannah Walker and the suicide of Thomas Walker (1928).
- The opening of the Trotting Track, subsequently named Lord’s Raceway (1954) .
- The closure of the Bendigo – Heathcote railway line (1958).
- The destruction of the Farmer’s Arms Hotel due to fire (2009).
Today, Junortoun is a growing residential suburb, chiefly comprised of low-density residential land. It has a CFA station, is home to the Bendigo trotting track, greyhound track, Selkirk Bricks, army bases and operations including Defence Imagery and Geospatial Organisation (DIGO).
For more information about the history of Junortoun and Bendigo contact the Bendigo Historical Society.