(This information is taken from Margaret Jones’ website here:http://megj42.tripod.com/id9.html )
‘Junortoun’ is now a district which is part of the Greater City of Bendigo in north central Victoria.
The original name of the district was Homebush after “Homebush”, an estate of some 2,000 acres extending along the valley of Splitters Creek, the homestead being situated approximately 5½ miles from Bendigo on what is now the McIvor Highway. This homestead was the receiving Post Office for the district up until the early 1970s.
In the early years of the 19th century, numerous complaints over mail being directed to “Homebush” in New South Wales and “Homebush” in Victoria (and I think there is at least one other Homebush in Australia) lead to either the Postal Authorities or the Victorian Government responsible for the naming of localities decreeing that the name had to be changed.
Meeting of residents followed and at the first meeting, the late Martin Dole, made the point that whatever the name chosen, it should be “short, quaint and original”. (Anyone who has had to write a series of letters addressed to people with long names living in streets with long names in localities with long names will see the wisdom of the “short” part of this proposition at least!)
Mr. Sam Lazarus, the then owner of “Homebush” estate then proposed the name “Junor” after his wife’s maiden name and this was submitted to the authorities. However this name was rejected on the grounds that it was too close to “Junee” in New South Wales.
At a subsequent meeting the suffix “toun” was added to “Junor” and again submitted and this was found to be acceptable.
Source: Mr. F.B. Dole,
“Homebush” got its name when on 15 February, 1855 Charles Boyle was granted allotments 1,2,3, in section 15 of Strathfieldsaye parish totalling 560 acres, later that year he had a hotel operating on the site and it was named ‘The Homebush Hotel’, Splitters Creek. It was on the site of the present building also named ‘Homebush’. The hotel was still operating in the early 1880s but by that time had been sold to John Queally. Charles Boyle also owned land along Axe
Creek to the north of the McIvor Highway – about 1400 acres – and his wife Sarah was living there when she died in 1886. This property was named ‘Homebush Park’.
Source: Mr. Peter Boyle, great-great-grandson of Charles Boyle.