Longlea Recreation Reserve Committee
20 Longlea Lane, Longlea, Victoria
PO Box 601, Bendigo 3552
The Longlea Recreation Reserve and Peppercorn Park Committee represents the eleven user groups who share the Longlea Recreation Reserve. These user groups are:
- Axe Creek Cricket Club
- Longlea Tennis Club
- Axe Creek Tennis Club
- The German Shepherd Dog Club Bendigo Branch
- The Australian Deer Association Central Victorian Branch
- Longlea Landcare group.
- Scope Disability Services
- Mark Murray Dog Training
- Longlea Community Craft Group
- Bendigo Adult Riding club
- Bendigo Western Performance and Horsemanship club
- Bendigo Brumbies
- Bendigo Australian Stock Horse association
The Longlea Recreation Reserve is near the corner of Longlea Lane and McIvor Highway. It is situated on the scenic banks of the Axe Creek and features many beautiful native trees and bushland. It also incorporates the equestrian facility at Peppercorn Park. The O’Keefe Rail trail is adjacent to Peppercorn Park.
There is a new committee of management for the reserve and the committee’s vision is to bring the community together. We want it to be a place for the residents of Strathfieldsaye, Junortoun, Axedale, Longlea and the local district to enjoy.
The Longlea Recreation Reserve Committee is very proud of our contribution to the local community and of the selfless input of our many volunteers, without which we could not provide the supportive environment for the community.
What do we do?
The objectives of the Longlea Recreation Reserve Committee are to:
- Promote, manage and encourage recreation in the Longlea, Junortoun, Axe Creek, Strathfieldsaye and Axedale areas
- Encourage and facilitate utilisation of the recreation facilities at Longlea Reserve and Peppercorn Park by local residents
- Give children in the district an opportunity to participate in sport from an early age,
- Give residents in the district an opportunity to represent their local Club in regional competitions;
- Promote fellowship and companionship amongst all Members
What have we done?
We have held several working bees over the past year and jobs done included grass slashing, burning off, painting and planting.. Recent changes to the reserve have included
- Resurfacing of 3 tennis courts and fencing .
- Children’s sandpit
- installation of reverse cycle air conditioning
- Additional Storage cupboards
- Upgrade electrical sockets and new lighting throughout
- Additional storage shed
- Expansion of cricket training nets and power connection.
The committee of management are very grateful of the selfless input of the many volunteers from all the clubs, and of the generous funding from the Strathfieldsaye and District Community Enterprise.
Aligning with our vision to bring the community together, we wish to extend the existing Cricket Clubrooms so we can house all the clubs together under one roof, sharing infrastructure such as toilets, storage and kitchen facilities.
This will be a multi-use facility which will be inclusive, child friendly, and community focussed. The Longlea Recreation Reserve will be a centre of the whole community and home to our community based clubs.
We have met with the recreation unit and Julie Deleavey and presented our design for extensions to our clubrooms. They are very enthusiastic about the plans and indicated that it should be raised as a Capital Works Submission.
- Extend the Longlea Reserve pavilion to accommodate additional storage, community hall, toilets, change rooms, kitchen and canteen.
- Establish water connection to the Axedale-Bendigo water pipeline to supply water to the Longlea Reserve pavilion
- Upgrade toilets for disabled access.
- Replace the timber fence at the horse riding arena at Peppercorn Park.
- Installation of chain mesh fence around oval boundary. Upgrade of Cricket pitch.
- Create a shelter shed at Peppercorn Park.
- Upgrade of kitchen
- Establish power connection to the shelter at Peppercorn Park.
- Create car parking, playground and picnic facilities at the Longlea Reserve and Longlea School site.
- Create car parking, toilets, playground and picnic facilities at Peppercorn Park for the horse riding clubs and O’Keefe Rail Trail users.
The Longlea Reserve and Axe Creek Cricket Club will be partnering with Interchange Loddon-Mallee region to create a disabled cricket team. A risk assessment of the ground and facilities has been done and the following priorities have been decided.
An introduction to our User groups.
The Axe Creek Cricket club has 4 senior sides affiliated with the EVCA. We also offer a In2Cricket programs for the younger players in the community.
The Longlea and Axe Creek Tennis clubs have 7 senior teams and are affiliated with the Redesdale Tennis Association.
The Bendigo branch of German Shepherd Dog Club has over a hundred members. It is affiliated with the German Shepherd Dog Club of Victoria and runs responsible Dog Ownership programs for the whole community.
The Central Victorian Branch of the Australian Deer Association use the clubrooms for storage and monthly meetings.
The Longlea Landcare group club use the clubrooms monthly meetings.
Scope is a not-for-profit organisation providing disability services throughout Victoria to thousands of children and adults with physical and multiple disabilities. They use the pavilion and reserve for daytime outings and recreation.
The Bendigo Adult Riding club, BWP&HC and the Bendigo Brumbies use the clubrooms monthly meetings. They use Peppercorn Park for regular equestrian events.
We also collaborate with the Friends of the O’Keefe Rail Trail group as the rail trail passes through Peppercorn Park.
There are approximately 400 active members who use the facility all year round.